Saturday, October 15, 2022

Buying a stock and then regretting the decision

Buying a stock and then regretting the decision

This is a five year time capsule post.  Thursday, October 13, 2016: UN, Unilever, after being at a high of $45-$46 for several weeks came down to $43 something.  I looked at the options.  If I buy at the market price and then sell options for November 2016 I will have my cost covered till the stock drops to $37.  So Thursday night I set up the automatic purchase: if UN is at $43.40 I’ll buy 100 shares. Friday, November 14: Coming back home after walking children to school, found out that Capital 360 had made the purchase of 100 UN stocks at $43.31 each.  I quickly looked at the options and set up to sell UN at $40 on November 18, if I get $6 per stock today.  By the end of Friday, the option sale was not done.  Now I am worried.  Did I buy at the wrong time?  Is the market going down and I should have been patient?  What if I am stuck with Unilever with this high price for a long time to come?  Only time will tell.

No comments: